Sunday, December 6, 2015

Grandpa Bum

My family needs your prayers. My Grandpa Bum went into the hospital Thursday. As things have unraveled, his body is full of infection which has impacted his heart. 

Friday was bad...If you know my mom, you know she's 1000 times more optimistic than the most optimistic person you know... So when she tells you he's really bad...you know it's really bad. To the point where doctors suggest preparing for the worst.

But they don't know my grandpa ...he's a Loomis. They'll help anyone in need and smile with a sparkle in their eye...but they're also stubborn and set in their ways. They don't like to lose and they never stop working for what they believe in. 

I went to see him Friday afternoon and he was completely out of it with the antibiotic trying to fight off the infection and an oxygen mask to reduces stress on his lungs. It was a rough 24 hours for everyone. A lot of unknowns and waiting to see how his body would react to the medication.

Today, his mask was off. He was slightly aware of people and he even said Mae's name when I brought her to his side. My heart relaxed a bit, seeing him more alert and being able to hold his hand. Yet, he has a very long road ahead. He's receiving medication for swelling in his legs and tomorrow they're going to do a swallow test to make sure he can have a drink of water. 

There are a ton of other medical issues and tasks happening, a majority I don't understand .... but what I do understand is that he's making progress. Slow, small progress, but it still gives me hope.

Pray he continues to progress and remains comfortable. Pray for his doctors and medical team. Pray for my grandma and family. Pray that we as a family show the doctors what it means to be a Loomis. 


No comments:

Post a Comment